Hive Doctor Smart Bottom Board with Entrance Reducer
SKU / HDBV2ER
Adaptable and functional UV resistant Hive Doctor Smart Bottom Board with a low profile for stability and sturdiness is a true staple!
The Hive Doctor Smart Bottom Board with Entrance Reducer comes equipped with the new and improved Hive Doctor Bar Entrance Reducer which allows you to adjust the entrance to your liking!
Removable tabs allow you to control the size of the entrance, providing you with a fully customized entry ranging from 8mm to 50mm once all tabs are removed.
Our new Bar Entrance Reducer was developed specifically to meet your hive management needs, providing you with options for wasp control, wintering down or management of robbing.
The tabs have been created for easy removal with a craft knife or needle nose pliers. Made from UV resistant, food grade plastic, the Bar Entrance Reducer is easily deployed by simply clipping it into the accessory slot of your Hive Doctor Smart Bottom Board.
- Vented bottom boards can reduce varroa loading - use as part of a varroa management system.
- New and Improved Hive Doctor Entrance Reducer!
- The Hive Doctor Bar Entrance Reducer slots in front of the Hive Doctor Smart Bottom Board, and can be flipped to either close or reduce the entrance, and stored in the front holding slot.
- The new removable tabs allow you to control the size of the entrance, providing you with a fully customized entry ranging from 8mm to 50mm once all tabs are removed.
- Straight sides and ends for easy palletising, and strapping multiple hives.
- Screw holes for securing to pallets.
- Locator slots through centre of base for Emlock hive strappers.
- Locating lugs to secure your hive box, and rigid design to prevent bowing
- Universal entrance space to allow future functionality, eg. pollen traps, varroa control, and other wasp control.
- Deep floor with great venting (21% ventilation), with the ability for venting to be closed off with pest trays.
- Triple disk entrance for a choice of entrance options available seperately here
- Dimensions: 53 x 40.5 x 5cm
Detachable pest trays available separately here.
Adaptable and functional UV resistant bottom board with a low profile for stability and sturdiness, and multiple entrance options
Vented bottom boards can reduce varroa loading and be utilised as part of a varroa management system.
- The mechanism does not actively treat mites but takes advantage of natural mite fall.
- It is estimated that 20% of phoretic mites fall off the bee in their first 72 hours.
- With vented bottom boards, mites that fall off the bees fall out of the hive, as opposed to solid floors where the mites can climb back up from the floor and reattach themselves to the bee.
- This reduction may seem small, but it will decrease the varroa stress load on the hive.
- This may be particularly beneficial when mite treatments cannot be applied E.g. long summer honey flows.
- Modeling has shown that through the period between two synthetic treatments mite drop through vented bottom boards can lead to a reduction of up to a third in phoretic mites.
Reduced mite loadings lead to healthier hives, colonies under less mite stress, reduced PMS and reduced hive losses.
Keep in mind that this is no substitute for high efficacy synthetic or organic treatments. Mite levels should be monitored and treated accordingly.
Research on vented boards reducing varroa mites can be viewed here
For more information click here to download our Instruction Guide.
About the Smart Bottom Board
Original / Smart Bottom Board Comparison
NOTE: When using pollen patties, place patties carefully on the top bars of the hive, ensuring no pieces fall through to the bottom board. As with any food product, these pieces may attract rodents which could result in damage to the hive.